Tuesday 5 January 2010

my review of grimorium verum, edited and translated by joseph h peterson

grimorium verum (a handbook of black magic) book review

this is ongoing since i just got it today. just to be clear, when i say "review" i mean things i think are interesting or unclear to me the first time i read them. it is not a general summary of the book. that said, here are my thoughts and questions:

page ii:
since they are seen as having a subtle body of sorts, the threat of pain is also commonly used.
i was under the impression that spirits and demons were just spirits (unembodied). i have always learned that a spirit looks like a body, but since it doesnt have a body it cant feel physical pain. i thought immediately of a quote from Chapter 37: Understanding Death and Resurrection, Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Brigham Young (page 273):
My spirit is set free, I thirst no more, I want to sleep no more, I hunger no more, I tire no more, I run, I walk, I labor, I go, I come, I do this, I do that, whatever is required of me, nothing like pain or weariness, I am full of life, full of vigor, and I enjoy the presence of my heavenly Father, by the power of his Spirit. I want to say to my friends, if you will live your religion, live so as to be full of the faith of God, that the light of eternity will shine upon you, you can see and understand these things for yourselves” (DNSW, 28 July 1874, 1).

Q. can spirits and/or demons feel pain? or is it just a mental/psychological pain (of which i believe spirits can experience, but since he mentions the subtleness of the demons body, im inclined to think he means physical pain)?

No comments:

Post a Comment